This short article will help you to measure up for a wrought iron curtain pole from Made by the Forge. Before you begin please make sure that you have the following items to hand:
- Tape measure
- Pencil and paper
- Some help if it is a large window
- The first stage is to measure the window opening. This is the measurement straight across from left to right. TIP- Make sure that you take your measurement at the top of the window or at the widest point just incase your window frame is not even. Write this measurement down in CM on your paper.
- Now that you know the window width you will need to consider how much drawback is required. Drawback is the amount of curtain pole that you have each side of the window opening to allow you to open your curtains. The amount of drawback required will largely depend on the thickness of your curtain material but as a rule of thumb we recommend that you add at least 10%-20% each side. For example a 100cm window opening will require an iron curtain pole with 10cm-20cm each side for the drawback.
Please feel free to contact us if you need help with calculating this.
- So now you have worked out the length of your curtain pole ( window opening + drawback each side) you will need to choose one of our wrought iron curtain pole finials. These will all vary slightly in length but whichever finial you choose please remember that it will add a small amount to the overall length of the finished curtain pole.
- Now you will need to decide how may curtain rings you will require. If you have eyelet curtains then this will not apply to you but generally you should order 1 curtain ring for every 10cm of overall curtain pole (including the drawback each side).
- Brackets required will depend on the length of pole and where the window is positioned. Normally you will require 2 curtain pole brackets (1 each side) and any pole over 2 meters will also require an additional centre bracket.
For windows that butt up against a wall we can supply a recess bracket which will help you to get a perfect fit. In this situation you may only need 1 finial rather than . This looks especially good above a door/window that is next to a wall.
- You may also wish to have you curtains held back once opened by a pair of our lovely wrought iron holdbacks.
- All of the information that you have gathered can then be submitted to our 'Order online' page where you can get an instant price for the pole and pay and place an order. If you would rather we worked out the price for you then please email us the curtain pole measurements and we will be pleased to help you.
Our helpful video above on how to measure up for a curtain pole will also aid you in getting the perfect curtain pole with the perfect fit. Please remember that we offer a bespoke service, so if you can't see what you are looking for then we can probably make it for you. We specialise in tailor made curtain pole brackets- made to fit and look great.